< Back to Projects

POLARIS

Self-Care Mobile App Case Study

The Mission: 🎯

This group project was worked on for a whole semester (4 months). There were a lot of steps that we had to follow through. But the basis of it is to brainstorm on a defined problem, gather information from it through surveys, and from the survey, create a solution that will work best with the problem chosen. We then have to create a low/medium-fidelity wireframes, high-fidelity wireframes, then prototype them.

For our group, we initially looked into college students (~ages 18-30) and decided to build a self-care app. It then transformed into a “habit builder” app to help those working remotely-or just need assistance with tracking new healthy habits.

UPDATE:
I have made a redesign of this project.
Click hereΒ to view the redesign post andΒ hereΒ to view the medium fidelity prototype.

Group brainstorm session.

Interview questions and survey findings.

We collected our data through one-on-one virtual interviews, surveys, and competitive analysis.

Challenges Faced: πŸ€”

  • During the first stage of the project, my group members and I had troubles deciding on which problem to make our project about (i.e. Make an app about plants? Look at an existing website and tackle on redesigning it?).
  • We didn’t know whether we actually had to hand-code the project and create a well functioning app in the end or just have a prototype; we were not given clear deliverables.
  • “Should we use the converge-diverge method during this section of the project? Or diverge-converge?”
  • Although we access to a big pool of college students for our quantitative research, we were mostly lacking people’s availability for the qualitative portion of our data.Β 
  • It was difficult trying to develop wireframes and branding standards; we butt heads in some of our own personal decisions (i.e. which type to use, which colour palette to incorporate to communicate our brand/tone of voice, how we could visually communicate a certain element to give a good visceral behaviour?).

User persona.

Low-Fidelity Wireframes

Outcome: βœ…

Although we did have 4 months to create our product, we weren’t able to finish it entirely as planned due to simultaneously working on multiple projects similar to this; along with practicum and internships. We were able to compile all our presentation slides, wireframes, and branding but we were not able to fully prototype the design the way we planned. There are some buttons that do not work as it does not have pages to link to. But overall, the most important pages and buttons are available for viewing. Also, my group members and I have created a friendship after working together, which shows that no matter what, creating personal connections is one of the most important things out there!

High-Fidelity Wireframes & Prototype

>To access the original prototype, please clickΒ here.

Responsibilities:

This was a group project (5 people). Some of my responsibilities included:

  • UI Designer
  • Graphic Designer
  • UX Researcher/DesignerΒ 

Software:

  • Adobe XD
  • Mural
  • Google Slides
  • Adobe Illustrator

Date accomplished:

Started: January 2022Β 

Ended: April 2022